Chicken Dum Biriyani
Testy Recipe of Chicken Dum Biriyani for Ramadan
Whole Ingredients :
- 2 cups long grained basmati rice
- 500 gm boneless chicken thighs or 750 gm chicken on bone
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
Cook the Rice :
- Wash the rice thoroughly in normal tap water and soak for about 30 minutes.Soaked Rice
- Soak the saffron in milk and set aside.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a big pan.
- Add salt and rose water
- When the water starts boiling then add rice into it.
- Cook the rice over medium high heat for about 10-12 minutes and then simmer the flame.
- When the rice are 3/4th done, then take out half of the cooked rice from the pan and remaining rice are to be set aside.
- 1 cup hung curd
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 4 green chillies crushed
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds paste
- 2 tbsp cashew nuts-almonds paste
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mint leaves thinly chopped
- Salt to taste
Garam Masala Ingredients
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole Kashmiri red chillies
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1-1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 mace
- 2 star anise
- 3/4 tsp whole cumin seeds
Add whole garam masala and saute for few seconds over moderate heat.
When the spices turns into little brown then add onions.
- 1 big onion (cut into slices)
- 1 small onion coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp fennel or saunf powder
- 1 tsp yellow chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- Few saffron strands
- 4 tbsp milk
- 1-1/2 tbsp rose water
- Few ginger julienne
- 2 tbsp pure ghee
- Some brown onions to garnish
To prepare this dum biriyani recipe, take a large bowl mix yoghurt (curd) with red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, along with ginger and garlic paste. Mix all the ingredients well and add chopped chicken into the mixture and let the chicken marinade for about an hour. When the chicken is marinated, add thinly sliced onions and salt to it.To cook the chicken, put a copper vessel on low-medium flame and heat ghee in it and add all the whole spices. Let the spices crackle and add the marinated chicken into the vessel. Saute the chicken well.Now add ginger and garlic paste into the chicken along with the sliced onions, and saute them again for a minute. Then add the beaten curd and saute the chicken till the oil separates. Now make the layer of remaining rice and chicken, top with the saffron mixture, chopped cilantro and ginger julienne.Now we have to cook this biryani on very low flame and there are two ways to cook it on dum without exploring out the steam. Cover the pot either with an aluminum foil. Let it cook on low flame on dum (low heat) for about 8-9 minutes. Now your Dum Biriyani is ready to serve….